Getting started with AccountKit is super simple. Just follow these steps and you’ll be up and running in no time. You can get away with skipping a few of the steps if you want to dive straight in, but we would hate you to miss anything in the excitement.
Jump straight to the applicable section:
- Step 1 - Sync AccountKit to Xero Practice Manager
- Step 2 - Setup your clients and client groups
- Step 3 - Setup your other integrations
- Step 4 - Finalise your practice settings
- Step 5 - Setup & Invite your Employees
- Step 6 - Setup your favourites
- Step 7 - Play Time!
- Step 8 - Help us build the tools you want to use
Step 1 - Sync AccountKit to Xero Practice Manager
If you don’t have Xero Practice Manager, you can skip this step
- Go to Practice Settings under your user menu in the top right of your screen.
- Click on Integrations and connect to Xero Practice Manager using the CONNECT button enter your login details and follow the instructions to finish sync.
- At times the re-direct within XPM won't take you to the correct page; To overcome this, simply log in to XPM first, then re-attempt the connect from within Practice Settings.
- Once connected, Select the IMPORT ALL CLIENTS button.
- Depending on the size of your client base the first sync process could take as little as 30 seconds or as long as 10 minutes. While you wait for this to happen you can explore AccountKit or continue with the other settings.You'll receive a notification at the top of the page once completed, although a page refresh once in a while could be worth doing.
|Ensure you have a sufficient authority level with your XPM account as the integration will take on the authority level of the user facilitating the linking process. You will need to be a Practice Administrator in XPM|
Step 2 - Setup your clients and client groups
You have Xero Practice ManagerIf you do have Xero Practice Manager AND haven't already synced your client base in step 1:
- From the People Tab select
- Press the Action button on the right-hand side and select "Update all clients from XPM'
- Now sit back and relax while we pull all of your XPM client information into AccountKit - this will take some time depending on how many clients we're bringing in. Feel free to have a look around in the meantime, for once the process is completed, a notification will appear at the top of the page.
- Upon completion, do a spot check that everything looks about right;
- Review each entity and set their type as Affiliate / Contact as required.
- See here for more details as to what these terms mean.
|You can think of XPM as your master database for your clients, so any changes there will be picked up in AccountKit and vice versa.|
You do NOT have Xero Practice Manager?If you don’t have Xero Practice Manager, It’s ok, we don’t discriminate, but you are missing out on a lot of the bells and whistles that come with our integration.
- Go to
- Press the Actions button and click 'import from Excel'
- Follow the instructions to massage your client data from your current client management software via the Excel template.
Step 3 - Setup your other Integrations
This is where you can setup any other integrations with other cloud-based providers that AccountKit integrates with. For a current list of Integrations click Here.
- Go back to your practice settings under the user profile and open the Integration Settings heading.
- Go through each available integration and authorise as required to allow a connection between AccountKit and your other tools of choice.
- See here for more detail about integrations within practice settings.
Step 4 - Finalise your practice settings
This step is all about customising AccountKit to make it truly yours.
- Once again head back to your Practice Settings under the user menu.
- Practice Settings: Tweak the details about your practice including adding your logo (both a dark and light version with transparency) and practice colours. If you can’t get these to look how you want, send them to us and we’ll have a professional graphic designer prep your logo and colours for you as part of the setup. Just email your logo and colour choice to email@example.com.
Of particular import is ensuring your time zone is correct, since this sets the date stamp on any interactions within AccountKit.
- Employee Settings: Set your basic employee security settings striking a good balance between security and convenience that will apply to all employees. See here for more details.
- Subscription Settings: Beyond setting the billing email address, feel free to give this area a skip at this point, we will remind you when your free trial is nearly over and which plan your practice falls into. At this point, you can enter elect to finalise your payment details. See the AccountKit website for more details about our available plans.
- Setup your tags: We've included a bunch of tags used in the Correspondence Register, Mail Register & Important Document Register to standardise various types of data across your practice. For example, if you have off-site storage for important documents, you could set up a new Document Location tag, or perhaps you'd like to setup SOA's within the document types for the mail register. If you don't like any of our suggestions, then feel free to get rid of them all and create your own. See here for more details.
Make sure to check the Business Types within practice settings. We set up some types based on those from the ATO, but if you've set up any new types within XPM, you will need to associate and ATO type as well to each Business Entity Type.
- See here for more detail about practice settings.
Step 5 - Setup & Invite your Employees
As the name would suggest, here's where you can invite the various staff members into your practice.
- Head to the user menu once again and select Users.
- If you ARE connected to XPM
- All users will have been brought in and flagged as [PENDING]
- Select each user and review their personal settings as required.
- Select the Click here to re-send the user invite button to send an invite email to each staff member.
- If you are NOT connected to XPM
- Enter the employee's details and select an appropriate level of authority. As seen above.
- Press [SEND INVITE] to send an invite to the team member.
- See here for more detail about users and their settings.
Step 6 - Setup your favourites
See that little vertical bar on your left - that's your favourites bar, it starts with a icon It's there to make your life easier by giving you quick access to those tools you'll use the most. We've pre-populated it with the Correspondence Register since that's one tool that all staff will use every day.
- Select the icon down the bottom to open up your favourites select screen.
- Select the Tools you want to see in your favourites bar
- As new tools come online, you can continually add and subtract those that suit your needs according to the role you play and even the time of year.
Step 7 - Play Time!
All the hard work is done, so now would be a good time to have a look around and play with some of the different tools.
- Experiment with how you can edit and save to a client entity and get familiar with the client and client group structure.
- Send some test messages via the correspondence record.
- Import any other registers that you may want some history tracked within AccountKit – such as the important documents register or mail register.
- Set up some structure diagrams for your clients.
- Check over The Menus and Shared Elements page to get a feel for the interface elements repeated throughout AccountKit.
... and if you ever get a little stuck, just go to the Help icon in the top right and select "Help for this page" or search the help file for various other ideas on how you can better utilise the software.
Step 8 - Help us build the tools you want to use
Whilst this isn't a step required to get you up and running, this step is really an ongoing philosophy that we would love you to apply to your day to day so that we can make the tools you need and ultimately help you to take your practice to new heights.
- Think about the pain points in your business, for these often represent opportunities for us to create something to help you.
- Submit your ideas or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- From these ideas, we will periodically survey you via the dashboard to help drive our development priorities so that we’re only working on those things that you want and need – let us work hard to make your life easy!!